Saturday, May 29, 2010

Gingerbread man to Rumpelstiltskin

I wanted to write about Shrek because that is what I just saw this gone Friday and then I went back on it as I have wanted to write about this other film I saw recently called The Road. But then I came back to Shrek because The Road is a much more thought provoking subject in the manner of its treatment and presentation. So I will leave The Road for my next time of writing. I hope with Robinhood, Kites, Sex and the City coming up I can still take out time for The Road.

I simply refuse to compare my recent expedition in the world of Shrek to the first three parts of it and most definitely not to the first one, which continues to be my favorite (I should not have said that). This final part in the brilliantly created character of Shrek is funny in parts, imaginative in others, foolishly repeated in several places and has its charm overall.

This was the first time that I wasn't expectant of Shrek as much as I had been for the last three doses of it. This one just happened to me. More so I hadn't even planned to go and watch it, I just happened to be at the movies and there he was waiting to entertain. The story follows the next trajectory in Shrek's life, with the regular family drama that happens (or will happen) in all our lives. The world of Shrek is routine, repetitive and all he needs is change. He goes out looking for change and the moral of the story is that we never value what we have, till we have lost it.

The many highlights of this Shrek episode was the new breed of fairy tale characters that they dished out. I was so sure that they had exhausted all the fairy tale stories and characters that they could not bring any new to this last one. There comes Rumpelstiltskin. He has been one of my favorite evil characters throughout fairy tale history. His use in this part of Shrek is quite amusing and fits like a pea in a pod. From his wigs to the witches, his contracts and hidden 'exit clauses' was just out of a law book. Everything was hilarious and pushed the boundaries of my fairy tale imagination. Kudos to the writer!!!
The surprise for me was the Pide Pipper of Hamelin. This was the most unexpected of characters that I had completely forgotten about and he came from nowhere, did his bit for the story and left. This is what I call optimal use of a character.

As usual this piece of cinema said so much to me. The essential thread that carried this tale forward and made it endearing in the end was the focus on not fighting for things to happen. Things happen in their own time, we must effort, we must try our best, but in the end there is only as much we can do. The fact that Shrek brought this realization to me and helped me philosophize one of my favorite animations was quite touching.

Shrek has a special place in my heart for being the first animated feature that introduced me to the fascinating and breathtaking world of animation and animated characters. Shrek and I have known each other for many years and have brought lots of joy to each other. I am somewhat sad that he will not take another story and come to me, but I do think that Shrek will have to go now, he has lived his part. Any new attempt to bring him back will not carry the freshness and the subtle little hidden stories that made it such an unforgettable piece of cinema.

To donkey, puss, fiona, duke farquaad, dragon, donkey's little dragon/donkey mutant children, Shrek and fiona's children, all the fairy tale characters, gingerbread man, magic mirror and the rest of them...thank you for your decade of wonderful cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment